From 11 to 13 November 2019, the II Colloquium of the International Film Press Association (FIPRESCI) dedicated to Russian cinema will be held at Lenfilm Studio. The event will be held within the "Cinema" section of the VIII Saint Petersburg International Cultural Forum.
The agreement on the regular holding in Saint Petersburg of the FIPRESCI Colloquium dedicated to Russian cinema was signed within the framework of the V Saint Petersburg International Cultural Forum in 2016 by the Head of the "Cinema" section Fedor Bondarchuk and the Secretary General of the International Federation of Film Press Klaus Eder. The step of the event is every two years.
The first FIPRESCI Colloquium dedicated to Russian cinema was held from 13 to 15 November in 2017 at the Lenfilm Studio within the framework of the VI Saint Petersburg International Cultural Forum. The Colloquium was attended by 13 film critics from 12 countries. Within the framework of the Colloquium, the best films of the domestic film industry were shown. Owing to this event, more than 50 materials about the new Russian cinema were published in the world, and the films from the Colloquium program were recommended for inclusion in the programs of more than 20 international film festivals.
Film critics will participate in the Colloquium 2019 in Saint Petersburg, representing the world's leading publications about cinema, the selectors of the world's most important film festivals. Private screenings of the latest Russian films will be organized within three days.
The goal of the colloquium is to provide a comprehensive description of the current state of the Russian film industry. This is why the program includes films of different genres, directions and aesthetic approaches. After each screening, the films will be discussed with FIPRESCI members. The final event is a Round table dedicated to the current state of Russian cinema, which will be attended by the representatives of FIPRESCI, Russian filmmakers, journalists, film researchers.
Program of the II FIPRESCI Colloquium in Saint Petersburg
November 11 — Author Cinema Day
- "Cornstalk" (presented by director Cantemir Balagov);
- "Sunday" (presented by director Svetlana Proskurina);
- "Russian Boy" (presented by director Alexandr Zolotukhin);
- Special screening "Evening Sacrifice" (1988, documentary film, 20 min., director Alexander Sokurov). A meeting with Alexander Sokurov.
November 12 — Genre Cinema Day
- "Text" (presented by director Klim Shipenko);
- "Brotherhood" (presented by director Pavel Lunin);
- Special event: "The draft in a million: what does Russian commercial cinema learn from, besides its mistakes?" Public-talk by screenwriter Nikolai Kulikov ("Legend #17", "Move up") with film critic Vasily Stepanov ("Session»);
- "I'm losing weight" (presented by producer Sergey Kornykhin and screenwriter Nikolai Kulikov);
- Special screening "Bull" (presented by director Boris Akopov).
November 13 — Focus on Women Directors
- "Once in Trubchevsk" (presented by director Larisa Sadilova and producer Larisa Schneiderman);
- "Heart of the World" (presented by actor Stepan Devonin and producer Natalia Drozd);
- "Loyalty" (presented by director Nigina Sayfullaeva and producer Sergey Kornikhin);
- Special event. Round table "Russian Cinema in the Global Context";
- St. Petersburg premiere of the film Through Black Glass (presented by director Konstantin Lopushansky).
In addition, special screenings of the latest Russian films and meetings with their authors will be held in the "Poryadok Slov" bookstore (15 Fontanka River Embankment) from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The program of displays will be announced later.